Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Plastic Surgeon Visit #2

So I met with Dr. Mess today.  She is the plastic surgeon who would do implants if I so chose that path.  She was absolutely wonderful and answered all the questions I had about implants and even answered new questions I had about the DIEP flap.

I asked her if I had enough fat in the momma pouch to give me the same size of breasts I already had.  Her answer was no.  So that leads to the decision that I made today.  I will be going with Dr. Mess to do my surgery and I will have implants put in.

She asked about what size I currently am, and I gave her the measurements that Victoria's Secrets gave me, which is a 36 D.  So after taking some pictures and measuring me, she came up with me being just shy of a D.  So I told her that I would like to be a full D when we are done.  She said that it was no big deal and a D is absolutely possible and would look very good.  That made me happy, as I refused to be anything less than what I currently am.  So I guess all of you would like to know when the surgery is to be done.

I have scheduled the surgery to be done on July 26th.  That will give me enough time to gather up caretakers so that I can be taken care of during my downtime.  I know I already have my mother in law and a couple of other people offer up their time, which is making this a little bit easier.

Essentially what they are going to do is do the double mastectomy and then put expanders in.  I'll have to go in and have them filled up so that the skin stretches out to the size that I want to be.  After that, I'll go back in and be opened up to put my real implants in.

I still haven't decided if I'm going to have the nipple reconstruction done or not.  I know that they will only be able to preserve the left nipple since that breast has not been messed with.  The right can't be saved.  I won't have any feeling in the remaining nipple and if a reconstruction was done on the right, there would be no feeling in that.  I also don't plan on having any more children that I would have to breast feed.  So really, what is the point in even having the nipples reconstructed?

I can have tattoos put where the nipples are to be and they would be 3D and would look like there were nipples there.  I could also do some other sort of tattoo there in place of the nipples.  Maybe I'll put some pretty pink daisies there.  Hell, who knows.  LOL!  Either way, that's the only other decision it seems that I need to make.

After sitting and talking to Dr. Mess and then talking to Andy about my decision, I can say that I am happy with it.  I'm sure that it'll be trying on me at times, especially when I am dealing with having the expanders in.
Overall though, I think I'm ready for this.  

No comments:

Post a Comment