Tuesday, August 6, 2013

And the Award Goes to....

ME!!  I had my appointment with Dr. Jacobs today.  The pathology report came back.....

I made the right choice in doing the mastectomy.  The tumor was at least 3cm on the longest part of it, which is a large amount in comparison when it comes to boobs.  Then you have to think about having to make sure that there is a 2mm margin between where the tumor was and where the good tissue is.  If I had chosen the lumpectomy, I would have practically had no boob left on the right side.

The left breast showed no signs of cancer whatsoever, but was taken as a preventative measure and while I am still having issues with looking at it, I know that I did the right thing.  At least I think so.

During the mastectomy, Dr. Jacobs removed 3 nodes.  I wasn't really sure what the purpose of that was, but it was basically to see if the cancer had spread.  Guess what??  It didn't!!!

So the whole point of this post and how great life is, is this:  I AM CANCER FREE!!  There is no reason for me to do chemo, radiation or any kind of hormonal therapy.  I am done with seeing Dr. Jacobs until next year.  That is more just to check how the reconstruction looks and to check in on me.  After that, I only have to be checked by her every 5 years.

Now, there is a down side to all of this.  With not having the several appointments with Dr. Jacobs, I don't get to see my angel of a nurse Miss Vickie.  That makes me sad.  I will tell you this though, I will find a way to keep up with her no matter what.  Her smiling face, humor, personality and just her compassion for people has made her one of the most amazing people I have ever met.  I am ever so grateful for her and the fact that she helped to make the cancer part of this journey so much easier for me.

Miss Vickie, If you happen to stumble upon this blog, I want you to know how appreciative of you that I am. Thank you for being you and being so caring.  I promise I will forever be your lil cornbread.

So tonight, I will leave you with this.  Here is the pic that Andy took of me and Miss Vickie this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment